Monday, August 13, 2007

Logo! Logo! Logo!

I love logos. In fact, my philosophy for illustration and writing is the same as it is for designing a logo - say the most you can with the least amount. Basically "less is more". It really bothers me when I am asked to cram every aspect of a business into a thumbnail sized graphic. The point of a logo is to represent what you do and do it quickly, not explain every aspect. Logos aren't novels.

Here are a few that I did recently. One is for the Hamtramck Farmers Market (which isn't in existence yet). Simple black and white with very graphic representations of the type of things you might find there. I originally added color, but the Mayor preferred one color for simplicity and cost. It's a bit more detailed than I usually do, but I thought the nature of a market called for it. I thought that if the logo just featured bread or just vegetables that it might be confusing. The market is more than just a bakery or a fruit market. The logo will also be used on signage.


Game Traps is a video game business started by a friend of mine. The game controller may be a bit confusing to the uninitiated, but would be instantly recognizable to the audience the business is trying to attract. Based on a rough sketch provided by the client, it also portrays the business as a place games are played, as opposed to being sold.


Lastly, this is a logo/sticker design I did for my local Dr. Sketchy chapter. I tried to cover the basic elements of the group, as well as giving it an industrial Dee-troit flavor. Per Molly Crabapple, artists are "art monkeys" and the poop flinging represents the "anti-art school" Dr. Sketchy presents itself as. The stickers have yet to be produced though. I just haven't found a good (i.e. cheap) place to get them done. Then we can hand them out at our Sketchy sessions.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jim, have you checked out VGKids for stickers? They'r ebased in Ypsi and have a pretty cool attitude and punk rawk/DIY aesthetic. Don't know ho wthey compare price-wise but I like going with local folks. Let me know what you think and I can help you out with $$ for the stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check them out and maybe get them for next time.

    ReplyDelete