Monday, August 13, 2007

Annual Halloween Plans

I go through the same thing every year. Several years ago I came up with what I thought was a really cool plan for Halloween. Now I'm not a particularly huge 'Ween junkie by any means, but sometimes when an idea hits I get all giggly and focused and the pencils come out and outlandish plans are made. So my idea was this: I wanted to make a puppet stage that would sit out by the corner of my front yard. It would have a circus side-show kind of look to it, crossed with a kind of Tim Burton Beetlejuice thing. There would be a little easel on the side of the stage with a sign promising the next act as IRWIN THE CREEP. The lights would come up, the heavy curtain would open, and sitting in the center of the stage would be a deathly pale frog-like individual dressed in a sequined devil costume holding a microphone.




I had in mind something like Triumph the insult comic dog, but since it would be kids coming to see, and since I'm not as clever as Triumph's "handler" I'd be a little less caustic. He'd make comments on kid's costumes and hand out prizes to the best ones. Photos would be taken in front of the stage and would be posted online at Irwin's own website. Under the stage there would be a hole where a monster hand would pop out to put candy in the kids' bags.

So every year I make plans to do this. And every year Halloween creeps up and pounces on me before I've done anything at all. As this year seems to be doing. Halloween is only two and a half months away. I'm still wondering where June went. So Halloween will come and I will vacate my house as to not be bothered by kids knocking on my door. If Halloween had a Grinch...well...maybe I can find the strength of ten Grinches, plus two and get my act together.



No comments:

Post a Comment