Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DAP-tastic!

Azucena treated me to Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings last night at the Majestic Theater in Detroit (not the theater where Houdini last performed as we learned; that was the now gone Garrick Theater). She'd won the tickets on WDET a few weeks ago after declaring her intentions to do so. Closing her eyes, she calmly spurned any effort on my part to "dial now!" Instead, she waited just the right amount of time, came out of her Houdini-like trance, and dialed the number to be caller number three (or two, or four, or whatever). I will never doubt her magical dialing skills again.

There was a bit of a mix-up with our tickets at will-call, but after that the evening was stellar. The opening band was The Heavy, known by me for their song How You Like Me Now from the Kia Sorento commercials. I liked them. They seem to be part of the resurgence of Reggae and Ska that I've been hearing about. Then the Dap-Kings came out and played a little intro to announce the entrance of Sharon Jones. The whole show was one big, powerful, energized, sweat inducing, funk-soul revue. I imagine this is what the Motown Revues back in the 60's were like.

Here's some sketches (based on photos from the web as the few I took with my phone were lacking):



No comments:

Post a Comment