Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Comic Con Report: Part the Third

Friday at Comic Con is traditionally Star Wars day. And being a big 'Wars junkie it's a surprise that I didn't make it into any of the panels. Well, not much of a surprise when you consider that I would have had to arrive at 7am to stand in line for an 11am panel with no guarantee that I'd even get a seat. And that press pass just doesn't have the cache that it used to. So Friday had to be about something else, and that something was MORE DR. SKETCHY! I know, I know, it's like a drug. But when the Doc gives you a prescription you have to take it.

The one and only Molly Crabapple, creator of Dr. Sketchy, was holding an extra special session Friday night at a local San Diego club to celebrate the publication of her first graphic novel. I met Molly at the Con that afternoon where she signed a copy of Scarlett Takes Manhattan for me. She even gratiously critiqued my Sketchy sketchbook.


Here are a few photos of the event donated by Scott McKeeve. Lady Borgia portrayed Scarlett from the novel. The other model was local drag performer Daniel d'Lovely. After all the drawing fun the club turned out a top notch burlesque show.



Here, in no particular order are my sketches. It was tough getting both models into a two or five minute sketch. And I was distracted while talking to some other artists, one among them a political cartoonist from Philly, another being a former Playboy cartoonist. Talent ran deep in that crowd.










Next: Booty!

No comments:

Post a Comment